[cvsnt] Re: Newbie question on CVSNT and SSH

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Tue May 4 11:05:22 BST 2004

firefox wrote:
> I'm running CVSNT 2.0.34 on a Win2000 Server. On the clients is WinCVS
> 1.3.13.2 installed.
> I'd like to use SSH to connect to the CVSNT server,

May I ask why? SSH is not exactly the best choice if the server is
running Windows. There are several unresolved (unresolvable?) issues
with the Windows implementations of SSH (e.g. OpenSSH), most prominently
the fact that you won't be able to distinguish commits by users any more
as all access will be performed as SYSTEM.

In a Windows-only environment the best choice is usually SSPI. You could
let non-Windows clients use :sserver: (i.e. SSL-tunneled pserver). If
you need to support non-CVSNT clients as well however you're probably
stuck with SSH if security is even of the slightest concern. Regular CVS
does not support any secure protocols beside SSH AFAIK... or does anyone
know whether :gserver: (i.e. Kerberos) might be supported as well?

Cheers,

--
Oliver
JID:	ogiesen at jabber.org