[cvsnt] Re: "Symbolic link"

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Tue May 4 19:43:44 BST 2004

Lionello Lunesu wrote:
> To prevent heaving an API directory with all sorts of unrelated header
> files, and to avoid using those global include directories, I've also
> sometimes simple copied the header file to the directory of the
> executable-project, where I've added it to cvs, again. Obvisously, there's
> no way this header file gets updated by cvs if I change the header-file in
> the library project.

You can do this with modules.  Just have a module for your executable
directory, which includes also the header files from your project.  Then you
just run update on both directories to keep them in sync.

> The repository is on a NTFS machine, so what about creating an NTFS-symbolic
> link to the RCS file. Is this supported? (NTFS knows this, right?)

They're actually hard links (which are hard to detect at the API level, unlike
symbolic links)... there have been CVS versions that supported them in the
past but they had problems (locking for example),

Te audire no possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.

Tony Hoyle <tmh at nodomain.org>  Key ID: 104D/4F4B6917 2003-09-13
Fingerprint: 063C AFB4 3026 F724 0AA2  02B8 E547 470E 4F4B 6917