[cvsnt] Re: CVS Notify error on Edit

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Thu May 6 01:53:41 BST 2004

> I suspect either you're trying to run multiple edit operations at the
> same time (the sandbox itself has no locking so must be single
> threaded) or there's an AV doing something to the Notify file (which
> can happen - some of them do strange things to the file operations).

I'm using _spawnvp with _P_WAIT so it really shouldn't be calling more than one copy of CVS at a time.

I've just put in a 1 second wait after the call returns before continuing and the error still occurs.

There is an AV program that I cannot alter the configuration of, but it's switched off for network drives (the sandbox is on a network drive).

> You won't normally see a Notify file - it's used as a batch file
> to send to the server... non-existance of the file is not an error
> (other than the fact that the edit notifications won't happen), so
> I suspect the error message is misleading - translation of Win32
> errors to unix errno values is sometimes very inexact.

I really can't seem to reproduce it "manually" from the command line so I suspect that it does have something to do with the speed - is finding where in the source this error message can originate from a simple task ?

On a side note: is there doco some place (wiki?) on how to call the CVSNT "DLL" directly (without just looking at the WinCVS source).  I know how to "dynamically" load a DLL using LoadLibrary (which would be my preferred method so that users can specify where they've installed it), but is the "API" fixed?  I assume it's an argv[] argc type interface, or is there something fancier?

Do you think it would work better or worse called this way rather than _spawnvp() ?

Thanks,

Arthur