[cvsnt] Re: CVS Notify error on Edit

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Thu May 6 02:10:00 BST 2004

(missed the cc: to the mailing list...  oops).

Arthur Barrett wrote:

> I really can't seem to reproduce it "manually" from the command line so I suspect that it does have something to do with the speed - is finding where in the source this error message can originate from a simple task ?

All the actions on the Notify file are in edit.c - there are 3 or 4 open
requests IIRC.  Not much to go wrong... printing out errno and possibly the
result from GetLastError() should pinpoint any problems if you can repeat it
though.

> On a side note: is there doco some place (wiki?) on how to call the CVSNT "DLL" directly (without just looking at the WinCVS source).  I know how to "dynamically" load a DLL using LoadLibrary (which would be my preferred method so that users can specify where they've installed it), but is the "API" fixed?  I assume it's an argv[] argc type interface, or is there something fancier?

There's no DLL (not for a while now, since WinCVS 1.2) just the .exe, which is
  a fairly fixed format to call.. I generally add options rather than take
them away.  Just make sure you use fairly tolerant parsing unless the output
changes.  The cvsgui protocol is documented somewhere (google will find it)
and that makes talking to the client easier.

The cleanest way is to make the connection to the server and use the
client/server protocol. There are libraries that do this (eg. jcvs for java
clients) although they don't support anything CVSNT specific normally.

> Do you think it would work better or worse called this way rather than _spawnvp() ?

_spawnvp should work (although it's better to use
CreateProcess/WaitForSingleObject under Windows generally).

btw. Sandboxes on network drives are problematic due to the latencies
introduced by the network software.  It's not unheard of for file locks to
hang around for a few seconds (in bad cases even a few minutes) and cause
problems.  Also there are compatibility issues eg. with samba sandboxes.

Te audire no possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.

Tony Hoyle <tmh at nodomain.org>  Key ID: 104D/4F4B6917 2003-09-13
Fingerprint: 063C AFB4 3026 F724 0AA2  02B8 E547 470E 4F4B 6917