[cvsnt] CVS File Permissions

athan eastmaels at yahoo.com
Fri May 14 12:08:00 BST 2004

Hi I've been looking for setting controlling file permissions with CVS.

I just want to know if it's possible to control file permissions in CVS?

A concrete example would be like these:

Let's say I have committed a file (FilePermission.txt) somewhere in my repo (CVSRepo).
Is it possible to set permissions to that file so that I am the only one who can commit changes to that file while others can only perform checkout and update?

Writers/Readers file here won't work because it sets the permission to the whole repo and not per file.  I also tried directly editing the .perms file (which I'm not sure is advisable) in the CVS Repo but it's still not what I wanted, but it's closer compared to the readers/writers file.

Is what I want to happen possible? If it isn't, can anybody give a suggestion?

Thanks!