[cvsnt] Re: cvs rename

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Fri May 14 19:03:08 BST 2004

On Fri, 14 May 2004 18:17:12 +0200, Andreas Tscharner
<andreas.tscharner at metromec.ch> wrote:

>Mike Wake wrote:
>
>Hello Mike,
>
>> I interpreted this CVSROOT question differently which may point to the
>> problem being experienced by Andreas.  Is he trying to use the new
>> rename functionality to rename a file checked out from one repository to
>> a location in another repository?
>
>No, I just tried cvs rename within the same directory. But the module
>that I checked out was from a different repository than the one CVSROOT
>points to.

I don't think you really understand the CVS workings here...

It's like this:
When you check out a module you have to specify the CVSROOT somehow,
it can be done by setting the environment variable or explicitly on
the command line as the -d option to cvs.
No matter which way, when the checkout is done and the files in the
sandbox are created there are also in each folder a hidden folder
named CVS which holds special files. In these files are specified
among other things the CVSROOT used when the module was checked out.

Now, if you change the environment variable CVSROOT to something else
has no effect whatsoever on cvs commands you issue against the checked
out module. CVS will *always* use the information held in the hidden
CVS folders!

So you can in fact NOT point CVSROOT to another repository for a
module already checked out. The only way to do this is to forcibly go
in and edit the hidden files in the CVS folders (which you should of
course never do).

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)