cvs rename (was: [cvsnt] Re: cvs rename)

Ge nospam at globo.com
Sat May 15 13:57:54 BST 2004

> So you can in fact NOT point CVSROOT to another repository for a
> module already checked out. The only way to do this is to forcibly go
> in and edit the hidden files in the CVS folders (which you should of
> course never do).

Well, it's not that complicated, and can be done rather easily if needed.
You need to be careful, though, and do it right... :) -- and should have a
backup copy of your sandbox (if you don't want to check it out again in
case something does go wrong).

There's also a "Change CVSROOT" macro in WinCvs that supposedly does
exactly what it says it does -- changing those files to point a sandbox to
a different root.

(I have done this before, when the server name was different for access
from the Internet and the LAN and I didn't want to mess up my sandbox after
leaving the LAN environment.)