[cvsnt] Re: Update Merge removes files

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Mon May 17 17:48:06 BST 2004

On Mon, 17 May 2004 09:22:38 -0700, "Stuart Stevens"
<stuart_stevens at sierralogic.com> wrote:

>Tony
>
>I am not using the "-r" option of the "update" command.
>
>I am using the merge option with two tags for the CVS update command.  The
>first tag was the branch itself while the second tag was a tag used on four
>files.  So the update command is supposed to merge the differences between
>the tags.  When the first tag exists and the second does not, CVS assumes
>that the file is to be removed?  This would appear to be expected behavior.
>
>If the second tag exists and the first does not, is the file replaced?

I've not done much with untagged files (I've always recommened tagging
from the root to avoid ambiguity)  so it wouldn't surprise me entirely
if it did behave in that manner - logically an untagged file is a
deleted file (since that's what happens if you just tag a sandbox -
the deleted files don't get a tag).

Following the logic if the first tag does not exist then I expect the
file will not be considered for the merge.. not 100% sure though.

There's the update -f option to force a tag match which will probably
do what you're looking for.