[cvsnt] Annotate Commands?

Jay j.javed at sherara.com
Tue May 18 12:13:58 BST 2004

Hi guys (and gals)

I'm a new user to CVS, and CVSNT. I'm having some problems getting any
web scripts to annotate files I've got stored away. I've narrowed down
the problem to the commands they're sending cvs.exe, but I cannot for
the life of me work out what it's supposed to be and how to fix it.
Everything I've tried just returns an error. I'm running W2K and CVSNT
2.0.41a. CVSNT is stored in C:/Program Files/CVSNT/. I have my
repository set up in C:/CVS/Repository/ and this directory contains the
CVSROOT folder (C:/CVS/Repository/CVSROOT). I've only set up the one
repository in CVSNT, it's C:/CVS/Repository (prefix), a the only valid
root is /

Now, what I'd like to do is annotate a file (Browser.php for example).
The path to the CVS file is C:/CVS/Repository/Cinema/Browser.php,v

Now, the command being issued to cvs.exe is as follows:

Root /
Valid-responses ok error Valid-requests Checked-in Updated Merged
Removed M E
UseUnchanged
Argument -r
Argument 1.1
Argument Cinema/Browser.php,v
Directory Cinema
C:/CVS/Repository/Cinema/
Directory .
C:/CVS/Repository/
annotate

The problem is this returns an error:
E cvs [server aborted]: protocol error: directory
'C:/CVS/Repository/Cinema/' not within root 'C:/CVS/Repository/'

If I change C:/CVS/Repository/Cinema/ to just Cinema, I get
E cvs [server aborted]: protocol error: Cinema is not absolute

Using /Cinema gives me
E cvs [server aborted]: protocol error: directory '/Cinema' not within
root 'C:/CVS/Repository/'

I've tried loads of different variations for a couple of the variables,
all in combination with each other, and all return either similar
errors, or just fail completely without an error message. Can someone
please tell me what the valid command is supposed to be (and how it's
made up if possible, so I can correct this script I'm using)

Thanks in advance

Jay