[cvsnt] Re: "non standard" RCS files

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Tue May 18 18:01:48 BST 2004

On Tue, 18 May 2004 09:48:53 -0400, Damien McKenna
<dmckenna at thelimucompany.com> wrote:

>I'm attempting to migrate from CVSNT to Perforce but am having problems
>with the conversion process (using cvs2p4), specifically Perforce is
>telling me that I have non-standard RCS files.  Does anyone know of a
>way to convert the ,v files to "standard" CVS format?  Failing that, is
>there documentation of the current ,v file format so that I might
>adjust the cvs2p4 converter myself?  Any help would be appreciated.
>
>PS I'm migrating to Perforce primarily due to the metadata versioning,
>which I need for my job, but I still think CVSNT is awesome.

Unless you're using binary deltas the CVSNT RCS files are perfectly
standard.  They contain extra keywords but that is defined in the RCS
standard from the beginning (it was always an extensible format).

The one change to the standard that was used was to handle spaces in
usernames correctly, which RCS could never do (IMO that's a bug in the
original standard, but too late to change now).