[cvsnt] Re: branch tag and chacl

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Sun May 23 19:21:12 BST 2004

Wolfram Kuss wrote:

>    Existing Tags:
>       Branch_A             	(branch: 1.64.2)
>       Before_Branch_A_Creation	(revision: 1.64)
>
> But log says:
>
> 1.64.0.2 : 'Branch_A'
>
> Is this discrepancy ok?

Yes.  1.64.0.2 is the same as branch 1.64.2 - it's just the way CVS represents
it internally.

> Anyway, the problem is, people, including me, can for example do a
> diff from WinCVS of their local with the file revision 1.64.2.1.
> Internally, this does a
>
> cvs update -p -r 1.64.2.1 bdgvalues.h
>
> So, everyone is able to see the contents of the "secret" branch.

ACLs don't work against numeric tags - it's a known limitation. Mostly you use
them to stop people checking in to branches that are in code freeze... they're
not really that secure (there are probably a dozen ways around the checks).

Te audire no possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.

Tony Hoyle <tmh at nodomain.org>  Key ID: 104D/4F4B6917 2003-09-13
Fingerprint: 063C AFB4 3026 F724 0AA2  02B8 E547 470E 4F4B 6917