[cvsnt] Re: problem with checkout / permissions?

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Sat May 29 21:48:08 BST 2004

Gerhard Fiedler wrote:

> Maybe I have time to look at the code itself, but I think that there's
> something missing here. FWIW, 2.0.34 works, and 2.0.35, 36, 38 and 40a
> don't. From what I've seen by a cursory browse, it seems that some code to
> fake a Unix server has been added or modified from 34 to 35.

That just changes the output from 'cvs version' - it doesn't affect the
operation of cvsnt itself.

The code is safe_location() in checkout.c if you want to have a look at it.
It's called to check the current location on startup, which is always a
subdirectory of the temporary directory in client/server mode (cvs-servxxxxx).

> "However, there is a more subtle cause, which is that the temporary
> directory on the server is set to a subdirectory of the root (which is also
> not allowed)."

That sounds like the reason.  The client directory is irrelevant in a
client/server operation.  This is borne out by the [server aborted] in the
error message - it's the server that's stopping you.

> I don't know exactly what the CVSNT server uses as temp directory. If it is
> using the value that's configured through the configuration applet (which
> would be what I expect), that's E:\Data\CVS\tmp. This is not a subdirectory
> of a repository root (the repository prefix is "E:/Data/CVS/repositories").
> To make sure, I changed the temp dir setting to F:\tmp\CVSNT -- no change,
> same problem.

It uses what's configured in the applet.  I'm not sure why it would consider
that to be the same as the repository in your case.

Te audire no possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.

Tony Hoyle <tmh at nodomain.org>  Key ID: 104D/4F4B6917 2003-09-13
Fingerprint: 063C AFB4 3026 F724 0AA2  02B8 E547 470E 4F4B 6917