[cvsnt] Problems with login into local server

Eric A. Gravel egravel_fl at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 3 23:50:40 GMT 2004

I've been trying to install and configure a test repository on my machine.
Installation and
creating repository went fine but when I try to connect from command line,
it fails.  I get
an error message stating:  "cvs [login aborted]: Error reading from server
XXXX: -1: Unknown
error."

I did some searching and saw that it might be a firewall or anti-virus
software issue.  So I
uninstalled Norton Internet Security as well as their Anti-Virus software.
I also went into
my linksys router and disabled firewall and made sure port forwarding for
2401 was going
to my internal ip for the cvs server.  That didn't work.  So I thought it
might be a turned
off service so I reverted to default profile but still nothing.  Only thing
left that I can think
of is that I run CyberPatrol on the same machine cvs is install.  I would
rather not uninstall
it since it's being used by my kids.  But could that software be causing
above problem?

Another observation... I was able to connect to
:pserver:anoncvs at cvs.apache.org:/home/cvspublic
using WSAD/Eclipse 5.1.2.  So it doesn't seem to indicate that my cvs client
is not working...
just my cvs server! argh... so annoying.

Any other suggestion as to what I can try?  I'm thinking I could also try
plugging machine
directly to DSL modem.  This is not the best option since I loose the router
& its firewall
security.  My last resort is to format and reinstall the machine but even
that doesn't
guarantee it'll work.

Thanks,

Eric