[cvsnt] Re: offline folder can't be updated when offline, even though server online

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Mon Nov 15 01:20:19 GMT 2004

David Holmes wrote:
> But this really isn't about the pros and cons of network shares, it is a
> specific issue related to a windows share in offline mode. It seems apparent
> from other bug reports (eg. Visio in MS knowledgebase) that performing file
> I/O on a network share in offline mode, behaves differently to online mode.

A quick test seems to show it (mostly) works.  I can checkout, and
update, etc. however anything that would require the deletion of a
directory completely screws up the sandbox as offline files don't
support that.

Also commit is extremely errattic - I believe that it's because the
offline share isn't tracking timestamps correctly (if you do a 'dir'
fast enough after the file has changed it hasn't updated the timestamp -
it takes a while).  It'll often take a couple of attempts before the
commit is recognised.  This is critical enough (and unfixable) that I'd
recommending avoiding such shares with CVS completely... it's likely to
affect the update too (in that you'd lose changes if CVS didn't realise
the file was changed).