[cvsnt] Re: offline folder can't be updated when offline, even though server online

David Holmes dholmes at --remove-this-part-dltech.com.au
Tue Nov 16 04:08:22 GMT 2004

Tony,

I appreciate you taking the time to investigate this. Thank you.

"Tony Hoyle" <tmh at nodomain.org> wrote in message
news:cn908j$kfd$1 at paris.nodomain.org...
> A quick test seems to show it (mostly) works.  I can checkout, and
> update, etc..

Hmm. I can't even do an update:

cvs [update aborted]: out of memory; can not allocate 2168886720 bytes

This is the response I get for all update and commit.

>  however anything that would require the deletion of a
> directory completely screws up the sandbox as offline files don't
> support that

Right. If you tried to prune empty directories you'd be in trouble, for
example.

> Also commit is extremely errattic - I believe that it's because the
> offline share isn't tracking timestamps correctly (if you do a 'dir'
> fast enough after the file has changed it hasn't updated the timestamp -
> it takes a while).

Hmmm - wasn't able to observe that happening.

>  It'll often take a couple of attempts before the
> commit is recognised.  This is critical enough (and unfixable) that I'd
> recommending avoiding such shares with CVS completely... it's likely to
> affect the update too (in that you'd lose changes if CVS didn't realise
> the file was changed).

I'm getting the message. :(

Thanks again.

David Holmes