[cvsnt] Tag entire repository

keith d. zimmerman lists at kdz13.net
Wed Nov 17 14:47:08 GMT 2004

Tony,

This is an old thread, but I am just coming back to it.  If you have the
time I have a question again, now that I finally got around to
implementing this  *embarrassed smile*

Tony Hoyle wrote:
>>So, if I am understanding all this correctly, this is what i should do
>>to make a new release.  First, background.  We have branches to denote
>>our major releases, and in those branches we have tags to denote a minor
>>release on that branch.  Our major release may diverge very much from
>>the HEAD branch by the time it's done.  BUT sometimes we decide the
>>release branch is too fscked up (especially early in the testing/release
>>cycle) and just redo the whole mess from HEAD.  Occasionally this will
>>orphan changes in some files, but we don't really care.
>>
>>So, what I should do in this case, if I am hearing correctly is this:
>>cvs rtag -F -B <branch> *
>>cvs co -A -r <branch>
>>
>>whereas I am now doing
>>cvs co -A -C
>>and recursing 'cvs tag -l -F -B <branch>' through that tree.
>>
>>is this all correct?
>>

> I'd normally do that kind of rollback with:
>
> cvs update -j <branch> -j HEAD
>
> but your way should work.

If I understand the update -j code correctly, it will merge changes
between the versions into the current code base.  So considering this
scenario:

- Run Build Script.  Creates the branch.
- Commit several changes on the branch.
- Need to run build script again and overwrite all changes in the branch
with HEAD

Am I correct in thinking that update -j <branch> -j HEAD won't kill the
changes in the branch?  Whereas 'cvs tag -l -F -B <branch>' (as I am
doing now) will work, but only if HEAD has been checked out into the
current directory?

-kz