[cvsnt] Re: CVSNT & File Permissions

Richard Dje richard.dje at takasic.fr
Thu Nov 18 14:04:11 GMT 2004

Tony Hoyle wrote:
> Hartmut Honisch wrote:
> > I recommend CVSNT 2.0.51d - it was marked as stable, and it works for me -
> > 2.0.58 (the current stable release) had some problems.
> There isn't much wrong with 2.0.58d (nothing showstopper, anyway).  I
> don't recommend using an older release as it's harder to support.
>
> 2.0.49 is an old dev. release so I wouldn't recommend using that.
>
> >>giving that group 'rwx' access to 'Mymodule'.
> >>
> >>What is weird is that permissions of directories under 'Mymodule' are
> >>not changed, only files' permission are modified from 'rwx' to 'r-x'.
> >

> > Do you have Cygwin installed on your server?
> I assume from the wording of the question that he is...
>
> The files in the repository are always stored read only, which is

But then how users in the same group can commit or tag the same cvsmodule
without being link to the same user account on the server side ?

> correct.. they get modified to read/write by the server as required.

By what ?

Is there a way to indicate CVSNT not the modify the group permission on
Commit/Tag operation ?
Is it really CVSNT fault ?

> CVSNT doesn't do anything with directory permisisons as they don't map
> across operating systems in any useful way.
>
> For the repository I recommend adding CVSNT=ntea to the environment, so
> the permissions get stored somewhere else... obviously you're using
> ntsec for the clients (or Unix clients), and that'll keep working.

We're using either Cygwin CVS client or GNU CVS client.
So you mean that there are interactions between the client side setting
, p.e, *ntsec* for Cygwin CVS client and the server side settings, like
the CVSNT environment variable.

> Another way is to force the user the server runs under to be the same.
Please correct me if am wrong, but you're saying that all users accessing the server should do it
with the same user account name on the server side.

> OTOH it should work if all the users are in the same group.

Thanks in advance.
-Richard