[cvsnt] Import generates conflict messages, why???

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Tue Nov 23 19:39:06 GMT 2004

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 13:35:50 +0000 (UTC), "Oliver Giesen"
<ogware at gmx.net> wrote:

>Bo Berglund wrote:
>
>> And I am not using any branches, this is because these sources are
>> supposed to build a proper module with a progressive revision history
>> on TRUNK rather than creating multiple branches...
>
>I think you're having a misconception there. Multiple Imports do not
>create multiple branches unless you specify a different vendor branch
>for every import (which you shouldn't).

OK, so if I do specify a vendor branch when I do the import then on
the first such import the source files get revision 1.1.1.1 and are on
the branch (and of course also on trunk). So far so good.

But now, when the next load of files are imported using the same
vendor branch, what happens then with files which have been altered?
Will they not wind up as 1.1.1.2 and no revision on TRUNK?
If this is so then we have effectively bypassed TRUNK for everything
except the very first import....

>I really don't get the fuss about the vendor branch. It's a mere
>cosmeticality really. As soon as you start adding your own changes,
>they will still be on the trunk.

So my discussion above does not hold then?

>There's simply too much power in the Import command that I would never
>want to sacrifice just for the sake of getting a cleaner revision graph
>- because that's pretty much the only thing you gain if you don't use
>it.
>
>Cheers,

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)