[cvsnt] Re: Windows vs Linux: Performance

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Wed Nov 24 01:20:50 GMT 2004

nick.minutello at uk.bnpparibas.com wrote:
> We have noticed that cvsnt on windows seems to use a lot of cpu.
> CruiseControl seems to hammer it (I think CC uses an cvs update with
> date/time - or it does a changelog - I am not sure)

CVSNT will use CPU in small doses...  it's rare that you update an
entire repository, so it ends up as spikes of a few seconds.

> Anyway, I was wondering if there was any marked peformance difference in
> CVSNT running on linux compared to windows.

Linux is faster... just because file I/O is faster.

> Our cvsnt on windows may be hobbled by something - but it seems to me that
> regular cvs on linux is much faster.

If you're running AV switch it off you'll find the machine doubles in
speed :)

The AV scanning reopens every single file and reads it on each change -
and CVS uses a *lot* of temporary files.  If you can tell the AV to
exclude the repository and temp directories (if you can't remove it)
then you'll be much happier.

> Not sure if the difference is cvs v.s. cvsnt or linux v.s. windows....

CVSNT/Linux is about 10-20% faster.  CVS for Linux is a few % faster
still but it's a much simpler beast...