[cvsnt] Re: Windows vs Linux: Performance

nick.minutello at uk.bnpparibas.com nick.minutello at uk.bnpparibas.com
Wed Nov 24 11:16:11 GMT 2004

>> CVSNT/Linux is about 10-20% faster.  CVS for Linux is a few % faster
>> still but it's a much simpler beast...

Its what I would have expected. Nice to have it confirmed.
Thanks.

-Nick

Internet
tmh at nodomain.org@cvsnt.org - 24/11/2004 01:20

Sent by:    cvsnt-bounces at cvsnt.org

To:    cvsnt

cc:

Subject:    [cvsnt] Re: Windows vs Linux: Performance

nick.minutello at uk.bnpparibas.com wrote:
> We have noticed that cvsnt on windows seems to use a lot of cpu.
> CruiseControl seems to hammer it (I think CC uses an cvs update with
> date/time - or it does a changelog - I am not sure)

CVSNT will use CPU in small doses...  it's rare that you update an
entire repository, so it ends up as spikes of a few seconds.

> Anyway, I was wondering if there was any marked peformance difference in
> CVSNT running on linux compared to windows.

Linux is faster... just because file I/O is faster.

> Our cvsnt on windows may be hobbled by something - but it seems to me
that
> regular cvs on linux is much faster.

If you're running AV switch it off you'll find the machine doubles in
speed :)

The AV scanning reopens every single file and reads it on each change -
and CVS uses a *lot* of temporary files.  If you can tell the AV to
exclude the repository and temp directories (if you can't remove it)
then you'll be much happier.

> Not sure if the difference is cvs v.s. cvsnt or linux v.s. windows....

CVSNT/Linux is about 10-20% faster.  CVS for Linux is a few % faster
still but it's a much simpler beast...

BNP Paribas Private Bank London Branch is authorised
by CECEI & AMF and is regulated by the Financial Services
Authority for the conduct of its investment business in the
United Kingdom.

BNP Paribas Securities Services London Branch is authorised
by CECEI & AMF and is regulated by the Financial Services
Authority for the conduct of its investment business in the
United Kingdom.

BNP Paribas Fund Services UK Limited is authorised and
regulated by the Financial Services Authority.