[cvsnt] CVSNT GUI Linux Client Question

Kevin doublek321 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 29 21:32:04 GMT 2004

Hey all.  I'm sort of a newbie at CVSNT and have a few
questions.  First off, I should mention that I am
running a CVSNT server on a windows machine.  I have
successfully had windows clients connect to the
server.  However, I also want to have both a debian as
well as red-hat linux client connect as well.  One
thing to mention is that I have successfully had
eclipse (running on both of the previously mentioned
types of linux) connect to the server.  I'd like to
use a non-eclipse linux client as well though.

I downloaded the CVSNT for redhat client.  I'm running
Debian so I ran the alien command to convert to a
debian package and then installed from there.  It
seemed like it ran successfully but I'm not sure how
to tell how.  Is there any way to tell?  When I type
"cvsnt" at the command line it gives me a "command not
found" error (which I know means it's not in the PATH
but I thought that the files gets added to the PATH as
necessary on the install).  One thing I noticed is
that when I type "cvs --help" it says "For CVS updates
and additional information, see the CVSNT home page at
http://www.cvsnt.org".  That alone makes me think I've
got cvsnt installed.

Anyway, assuming it is successfully installed are
there any free gui-based linux clients out there?  I
tried visual_cvs but it requires a license code (plus
I couldn't figure out how to point it to my CVSNT
Server).  It seems too hard to believe that I couldn't
find one more easily.  I noticed a few clients (e.g.
jCVS) on sourceforge but I'm not sure if it supports
CVSNT.