[cvsnt] Re: Synchronizing two CVS servers

Czarnowski, Aric aczarnowski at unimax.com
Tue Nov 30 21:15:24 GMT 2004

> I hope msoffice files are handled as text files,
> though! Otherwise I'll start taking my notes and
> writing my texts in HTML :)))))))

They are not.  All Office formats are binary by default.  I am sure that
is why you were smiling when you wrote that.

You will want to add Office extensions to your cvswrappers file now
before you forget.

<rant>

My company is full of people that continue to use MS-Word for simple
design docs, white papers and other internal notes.  The reason they
always give is "it does table of contents automatically."  *sigh*  It
also screws up bulleted lists and fonts to the point where I can write
my own TOC in HTML by hand faster if it is really needed.  Most times it
is not.

Plus now our intranet mostly links to Word files.  What good is that?
Can't search, can't diff, can't embed version information automatically.
Stupid.

And MS-Word's compare doc and change tracking features are very bad.

Oh, and hidden data that must be purged if a whitepaper ever goes
outside to a partner for review.  And.  And.  And.

</rant>

Do yourself a favor and go back to HTML or some other text source
format.  Perl POD is pretty powerful if you are a Perl hack.  If you
really do require page layout features, rich printing control or simply
must have WYSIWYG editing then I cannot help though I have been
interested in DocBook for some time.

Personally, I wish people would spend half the time they currently spend
on formatting and use it to concetrate on content.

--Aric

Aric Czarnowski
Unimax Systems Corporation
612-204-3634