[cvsnt] Re: Why edit -x?

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Sun Oct 3 21:07:33 BST 2004

Jerzy Kaczorowski wrote:
> Tony,
>
> Right, binary files. But with the edit -x the cure is worse that the
> disease.
>
> Why not limit the exclusive edits to binary files only?

Why impose arbitrary limits like that?  There's no technical reason for it.

Like it or not, some people *will* want to use exclusive edits, no
matter how much we try to persuade them otherwise.  I'd rather they were
able to use cvsnt (then start using proper concurrency when they realize
the problems) than buy another package that only supports exclusive
edits, then they're stuck... which really sucks if the only reason for
wanting exclusive edits is because some upper level management type
thinks they're cool.