[cvsnt] Re: Why edit -x?

Jerzy Kaczorowski jerzyk at wndtabs.com
Mon Oct 4 01:52:54 BST 2004

Tony,

To be honest there are no technical reasons to lock files exclusively with
CVS, not even the binary ones.

However I do admit that it may help if the binary files are treated with a
little extra care. And that is why I always supported the "edit -c"
approach - it provides a perfect balance between the need for concurency and
the need to synchronize any work on non-mergable files. It allows to
override the lock and it makes sure that the decision to do so is concious.
At the same time the server-side support allows to enforce the editing
policy making the system work in consitent and predictable way.

Now, on the psychological level, it's just a matter of carefully chosen
wording. With the server-side cvsrc you can make "edit -c" and "commit -c"
compulsory and effectively you get the "exclusive" edits but in a civilised,
concurent way. It can be overriden by using commit -f  and so it avoids all
the problems caused by typical exclusive locking. It's a great advantage and
it should be exploited rather than adding new and completely unneccesary
option to the edit command that effectively turns CVS into un-concurent
versions system.

On a side note, it appears from your comments that the decision to add the
exclusive edits is driven by the CVSNT going "commercial". It's very sad to
see that going the wrong way so soon :(

Best Regards,
Jerzy