[cvsnt] Re: Why edit -x?

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Mon Oct 4 01:29:10 BST 2004

Jerzy Kaczorowski wrote:
> On a side note, it appears from your comments that the decision to add the
> exclusive edits is driven by the CVSNT going "commercial". It's very sad to
> see that going the wrong way so soon :(

My 0.02:  As long as it doesn't interfere with the traditional CVSNT
operation, I'm not at all opposed to it.  Before I started using CVSNT,
when I didn't understand concurrent methods and ignored files and
merging etc. etc., the thought of a conflict had me concerned.  I read
up on the matter (including a long-ish explanation, almost a sermon, on
the promise of concurrent development) and I came around.  However, not
everyone will research before making a decision.

It seems that Tony is trying to satisfy putting a check in the column of
CVSNT for "supports exclusive edits" and gets rid of the footnote that
there are lots of workarounds (and to the uneducated future CVS admin /
manager, danger).  It certainly is better than "well, yes, it sort-of
supports that".

I don't know if there's any reason why cvsrc with edit -c and commit -c
would work as Jerzy noted, but I assume there is some important
distinction (I don't use either yet, but may soon start with some files).

Regards,

--
Glen Starrett