[cvsnt] Re: Why edit -x?

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Mon Oct 4 02:58:15 BST 2004

Glen Starrett wrote:
> I don't know if there's any reason why cvsrc with edit -c and commit -c
> would work as Jerzy noted, but I assume there is some important
> distinction (I don't use either yet, but may soon start with some files).

edit -c in cvsrc is global.. once it's on you can't do anything about
it.  -kc is good for classes of files, like word documents.  edit -x
lets someone handle their own little section of the repository in an
exclusive way without interfering with everyone else who's happily
cooperating.

As lot of it is about checking boxes...  it's also a little about
integration with Uniface/UD6 and even the SCC API (which is at its heart
reserved only...  I'll need to implement both modes to get into the VSS
shops easily, although my intention is that it's a cooperative as
possible so I can actually use it myself...).

Once the bean counters/managers have their boxes ticked and have picked
cvsnt - then the training cuts in where we tell them how great
cooperative development is....  most developers know this already though.