[cvsnt] Re: Missing author bug in 2.0.58 when cvs invoked by postcommit script

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Tue Oct 5 13:36:56 BST 2004

John Kinson wrote:
> I use a postcommit script that invokes cvs to perform an additional
> check-in (of a top-level Changelog file).
>
> Previously, this script worked fine, and the author of the automatic
> check-in was recorded as SYSTEM.
>
> After upgrading to 2.0.57a/58 though, the automatic check-in reports no
> error, but within the ,v file the author is missing altogether.  This
> should never be the case, and not surprisingly cvsnt crashes when, for
> example, cvs log is subsequently invoked on the file.
>
> Any chance this could be fixed please?  I assume it's still acceptable
> for a postcommit trigger script to use cvs to perform an additional commit?

It's not a good idea as the script will be called again and you can get
into a loop.

I don't see how postcommit/postcommand can cause that - in fact the
author field has absolutely no link with anything to do with postcommit.
  It's also not optional... the very first thing written to a new
revision is the author and will never be 'missing'.

I suspect this is unrelated to postcommit and something else is going
on.  Try removing the postcommit and committing a few things.  Do you
have any AV on the server?