[cvsnt] Re: Missing author bug in 2.0.58 when cvs invoked by postcommit script

John Kinson cvs at yellowradio.com
Tue Oct 5 14:43:25 BST 2004

>> Any chance this could be fixed please?  I assume it's still acceptable
>> for a postcommit trigger script to use cvs to perform an additional
>> commit?
>>
> It's not a good idea as the script will be called again and you can get
> into a loop.

True, but my script handles that - that's not a problem for me.

> I don't see how postcommit/postcommand can cause that - in fact the
> author field has absolutely no link with anything to do with postcommit.
>  It's also not optional... the very first thing written to a new
> revision is the author and will never be 'missing'.

Here's the head of the ,v file after my postcommit script has created
revision 1.12:

head	1.12;
access;
symbols
	CR_REFACTOR_XSL:1.9.0.2
	CR_FIX_GLOSSARY_NAMESPACE:1.4.0.4
	CR_REFACTOR_SCHEMA:1.4.0.2
	CR_ADD_TESTS:1.2.0.2;
locks; strict;
comment	@# @;

1.12
date	2004.10.05.11.46.31;	author ;	state Exp;
branches;
next	1.11;
deltatype	text;
permissions	644;
commitid	8f4416289970550;
kopt	kv;
filename	@Changelog.txt@;

1.11
date	2004.10.05.11.39.21;	author SYSTEM;	state Exp;
branches;
next	1.10;
deltatype	text;
permissions	644;
commitid	128416287e97fd3;
kopt	kv;
filename	@Changelog.txt@;

As you can see, revision 1.12 has no author, which is clearly a bug.
The cvsnt server process should never write a ,v file with an
author-less revision.

> I suspect this is unrelated to postcommit and something else is going
> on.  Try removing the postcommit and committing a few things.  Do you
> have any AV on the server?

If I rollback the server to 2.0.51, the script works - the author for
the created revision is SYSTEM.  If I upgrade the server to 2.0.58, my
script stops working.  Given that 2.0.52 introduced changes to the SSPI
domain processing (usernames are recorded as @DOMAIN\username@, rather
than @username@), isn't this a likely source of the bug when "cvs
commit" is invoked as SYSTEM?

Cheers