[cvsnt] Re: Moving respositories from win2k to win server 2003

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sun Oct 17 07:39:38 BST 2004

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 13:56:19 -0400, "Albrecht John"
<albrecht_john at bah.com> wrote:

>We are going to move our cvs repositories from a win2k server to win 2003
>server. Is it safer to have all projects commit changes back to the server,
>release their local workspace, then check back out when the new server is
>ready?
Yes, this makes things easier for you and gets clean sandboxes too.
But be aware that there might be people who have not yet added all new
files to their projects so when checking out anew they might not
build. I would wait with the release part until checked....
You could start out by having them commit everything, then checking
out to another location to verify that all files are there and that
the projects build OK. Only then you proceed. It would be a good
advice anyways to do so regularly since new files have to be manually
added and might be forgotten.

>I realize that the local cvs control files can be modified on each
>developers pc, but I'm concerned that about manual errors if there are too
>many locations to change?
There are macros to perform the root changes recursively for you, so
the problem is not that bad. If you use WinCvs as client then it is a
real breeze to do.

>Or would export/import work better? Does it have any draw backs?
This would definitely NOT be a good solution at all! Import explicitly
will get you back to square qone (= rev 1.1) on ALL project files with
no history at all...
Import *creates* a new module with contents and all of the files are
rev 1.1 or rev 1.1.1.1 depending on the settings for import.
No older revisions will ever be reachable!

DIFFERENT APPROACH
If the old server will be taken out of operation or renamed you can do
the following instead and it will not need any work on the user side:
1) Shut down the CVSNT service on the old server
2) Copy over the repository files (all of them) to the new server
3) Bring down the old server altogether from the network
4) Modify the DNS server record for the old server so that the name
points to the IP of the new server.
5) Start the CVSNT service on the new server.
Now all client sandboxes pointing to the old server will actually call
the new server through the name-IP resolution of the DNS server in
your network. No need to change anything at all at the clients.

HOSTS
If you don't have a DNS server then you can tell the users to add an
entry to their local hosts file with the new server's IP and the old
server's name..
This is how I do it with my own server that is on the Internet via the
firewall (which uses DHCP to get its IP address). When my ISP changes
the IP address I just update the hosts file and can continue working.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)