[cvsnt] Re: rcsdiff -q

Matthew Heaney mheaney at on2.com
Mon Oct 18 17:17:40 BST 2004

"Siegfried Heintze" <siegfried at heintze.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.2162.1098114448.21094.cvsnt at cvsnt.org...

> I'm running CVSNT and emacs. I want to put my c:\.emacs in a repository.
See
> "More details" below if your interested in history. When I try Matt's
> command c-u c-x v v rcs it never gets to prompt me for the "rcs". Instead
> get a dialog box that says "Something bad happened to CVSNT. Do you want a
> crash dump". I say no and then I get a dialog box about an accvio.

I had a similar problem.  My solution was to rename cvsnt/rcsdiff and
cvsnt/co, since the behavior of the programs is different from the
identically-named programs in the rcs distribution.

> I have discovered, however, that I can use the command line commands for
rcs
> "co" and "ci" to keep track of my revisions for .emacs.

Yes, that should work.  But only if rcs/co is first in your path (or you've
renamed cvsnt/co, as above).

> It would be nicer to be able to check in and check out from emacs using
RCS.
> It would be even nicer to use CVSNT on my c:\.emacs.

This works for me.  You just have to register the file first:

C-u C-x v v

> Oh, and incidently, when I try c-x v b, I get the message "no other back
end
> to switch to". That is strange! RCS is obviously installed and working.

You must register the file with RCS first.  See the command above.

> When I tried to create a repository in my top level directory cvs.exe
failed
> with some horrible error message. I had posted that error message earlier
in
> this mailing list and received no response. Previous to that (as per the
> suggestion on this mailing list) I posted a query in the emacs forum on
how
> to put the .emacs under version control. No luck. I had even tried to use
> Cygwin (I'm running windows 2003 server) "ln" command to create a link but
> had no luck (I posted in the Cygwin mailing list but no luck there
either).

I was able to put .emacs under RCS version control without a problem.

Just make sure that vc is finding the right binaries.  I have cvsnt in my
path first, then rcs.  This causes a conflict, since cvsnt/rcsdiff and
cvsnt/co behave differently, so I renamed them (no problem since vc doesn't
use them anyway, when CVS is the backend).

Of