[cvsnt] Re: cvs [server aborted]: cannot rename file 2.0.58b

James Cosh coshjw at NO_SPAMgov.ns.ca
Tue Oct 19 19:49:57 BST 2004

I had the same problem.

There is no antivirus software on the server.

For every file I tried to commit, the server would respond with the
Permission Denied message.

There are some curiousities, however. CVS would permit the adding of
exactly one tag to each file. Any further attempts to add or delete tags
would bring the same 'cannot rename.... Permission denied' message.
However, if I were to manually set the repository ',v' file on the
server to read/write, exactly one commit (or tag change) would be
successful. After that change, the repository file would again be read
only, and any further mutating CVS commands would fail with the same
error message.

The 'solution' was to remove 2.0.58b and install 2.0.58a. It's working
fine now.

Jim