[cvsnt] Upgrading from 2.0.40 to 2.058b: Problems with permissions

Johannes Kilian jok at vitronic.de
Mon Oct 25 11:21:01 BST 2004

Hi there,

after successfully local testing the functionality of 2.0.58b, we
migrated our server from CVSNT 2.0.40 to 2.0.58b (on win2003-Server)

First thing that happened - and what we did'nt expect:

* CVSNT 2.0.40 ran as a service. The service-owner was a special user
('CVSUser'). After upgrading to 2.0.58 (and forced restart) the service
owner wasn't CVSUser anymore, but the default service owner. We had to
assign the CVSNT-Service and CVSLock-service manually to CVSUser again ...

Question: Is this an error in upgrading process ("Switch Owner of
Service to default") or is it a desired feature? This "feature" does not
make sense to me, since upgrading shouldn't change user settings ...

Another question:

Our CVSRoot-directory has filesystem based access-writes. Only the
history-file is changeable by a normal user - all other files are just
readable. (Have I forgotten to mention a file? - It doesn't matter: the
access rights in CVSRoot have been set up in a way, everything works
within CVSNT 2.0.40 ...)

After upgrading to 2.0.58b a normal user gets the message (when
comitting a file he previously checked out from CVSNT-server 2.0.40):

Checking in EtcDtuLidCalib_Hauptseite.html;
/EtcSourcecode/ETC-Kontrollstelle/EtcDtuLidCalib/EtcDtuLidCalib_Hauptseite.html,v  <--  EtcDtuLidCalib_Hauptseite.html
cvs [server aborted]: cannot rename file /EtcSourcecode/ETC-Kontrollstelle/EtcDtuLidCalib/,EtcDtuLidCalib_Hauptseite.html,
to /EtcSourcecode/ETC-Kontrollstelle/EtcDtuLidCalib/,EtcDtuLidCalib_Hauptseite.html,:
Permission denied

Permission denied - which entity is meant by this message? The file
itself? (I think this cannot be, since this error did not occur with
CVSNT-Server 2.0.40 - everything worked fine for the user - and the
access rights of the user are unchanged) - or an administrative CVS-file
in CVSROOT? (If yes - which one(s) have to be changeable by normal
users?) Or any other file?

BTW: Why does a simple file commit (no rename action performed by user)
cause a cvs rename?

Any help welcome

Johannes