[cvsnt] Re: Upgrading from 2.0.40 to 2.058b: Problems with permissions

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Mon Oct 25 14:38:05 BST 2004

Johannes Kilian wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> after successfully local testing the functionality of 2.0.58b, we
> migrated our server from CVSNT 2.0.40 to 2.0.58b (on win2003-Server)
>
> First thing that happened - and what we did'nt expect:
>
> * CVSNT 2.0.40 ran as a service. The service-owner was a special user
> ('CVSUser'). After upgrading to 2.0.58 (and forced restart) the service
> owner wasn't CVSUser anymore, but the default service owner. We had to
> assign the CVSNT-Service and CVSLock-service manually to CVSUser again ...
>
> Question: Is this an error in upgrading process ("Switch Owner of
> Service to default") or is it a desired feature? This "feature" does not
> make sense to me, since upgrading shouldn't change user settings ...

The upgrade reinstalls the service.  If you want to run the service as
another user (which isn't recommended anyway) you'll have to do that on
each upgrade.  CVSNT has its own settings for running as a specific user
- it's recommended you use those instead.

> BTW: Why does a simple file commit (no rename action performed by user)
> cause a cvs rename?

The write to the file is always done on a temporary file, then renamed.