[cvsnt] merge and keyword expansion trouble

Prochazka, Jan Jan.Prochazka at brooks.com
Tue Oct 26 17:25:33 BST 2004

Hello to all,
I got stuck with merging sandbox that holds both text and binary files.
Moreover the text files do have expandable keywords e.g. $Revision$, $Date$
etc.

Let's say my sandbox is HEAD and I need merge changes from "branch1". Well,
command "cvs update -j branch1" executed in my sandbox root should be the
right one. However, after merging is done, EVERY text file with keyword
looks modified for cvs with all consequences (:-((((  I found notice about
-kk usage in cvs manual, and the command "cvs update -kk -j branch1" works
fine for text files, but, unfortunately, it screws binary files. The cvs
manual confirms that :
"...it overrides whatever keyword expansion mode CVS would normally have
used. In particular, this is a problem if the mode had been `-kb' for a
binary file. Therefore, if your repository contains binary files, you will
need to deal with the conflicts rather than using `-kk'."

Well, what should I to do ? I can imagine to write some script/app that
would crawl through the sandbox (we have really huge project with many
dirs/subdirs and more then 1000 files), check whether the file is text or
binary and then call cvs update with or without -kk for each particular
file. But I hope some better solution might exist, eg. some sort of CVS
update that check whether the files are really different or not and resets
"modified" flag for those different in keywords only etc. but I did not find
anything so far.

Doesn't anybody have any suggestion ?

Thanks a lot,
Jan