[cvsnt] Re: release option of import command

abhishek jaiswal abhi658606 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 2 04:41:56 BST 2004

Hi Oliver

As you know I am learning cvs commands.

I found release option of import command in cvsnt documentation under
follwing path

-> Revisions   -> Assigning Revisions

While reading the documentation, I found that the version no. of file
given by cvs can be 1.4, 2.5, 1.45 , 5.1 etc. Hence when you add a
new  file its version no. will be 5.1

But when I made a project and started working on it. However I found
that whenever I made any changes to the file and commit it, the
version no incremented after decimal point only ( i.e form 1.9 it
changes to 1.10 and then 1.11 and so on and never becomes 2.1 ). Thus
I became curious regarding when and under what conditions does the
version no. changes to 2.1

Also when we make a branch, its version no starts for 1.------ .
Hence  can you help me to know when the version no of file changes
form 1.-- to 2.-- or 3.-- and so on.

However sorry for wrong interpretation of answer. I will take care of
it.

regards
Abhishek