[cvsnt] cvs update -j question

keith d. zimmerman lists at kdz13.net
Wed Sep 15 18:34:35 BST 2004

Ok, maybe I'm really really stupid here, but why does this:
     cvs update -j "b211:5 minutes ago" -j b211
work when I am in my HEAD sandbox, and this:
     cvs update -j "HEAD:5 minutes ago" -j HEAD
NOT work when I am in my b211 sandbox?

The application for this is that we make changes in head, and then wish
to push them back to our release branch.  The -j merge would make this
really easy - update, commit, go to other sandbox, merge, commit - but
when I am using HEAD this doesn't work.  See, these are multi-file
updates; i could manually do each file based on the revision number, but
that takes a long time and is a pain.  And no, I don't really feel like
tagging each commit... that makes my history commands take a bloody long
time.

Suggestions?