[cvsnt] Re: gserver_protocol_mit.dll missing in Windows CVSNT-2.0.56

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Fri Sep 24 21:20:41 BST 2004

Douglas E. Engert wrote:
> The cvsnt-2.0.56.exe for Windows released today(?) does not contain the
> gserver_protocol_mit.dll or any install options to have it included.
>
> Previous versions did, although it did require moving the dll
> and editing the gserver_protocol.ini. The gserver_protocol.ini file
> is still present.
>
> Was this an error or is this feature being dropped?
>
> Or is it that the WinCvs contains a recompiled version of CVSNT?
>
> We where just getting started using this with the MIT Kerberos for
> Windows and WinCvs-1.3.20. I don't want to have to resort to using the
> gserver_protocol.dll based on the SSPI if possible.

It was very little used, and since Active Directory contains a
reasonable kerberos implementation anyway, it's been dropped.  If you
have a KDC running it's trivial to get the windows machine to connect to
it (you're probably doing it already, so the active directory gserver
will work out of the box).

MIT kerberos has had a number of security problems recently and tracking
new versions is nontrivial (it's hard to get - I have to spoof my IP via
a proxy in the US just to download it, then the win32 compile needs
fixes to work) it's really not worth the effort.

The source is still maintained as it forms the basis for the Unix
versions.  If you want to continue using it then it can be compiled
easily enough.