[cvsnt] RE: Problem connecting to repository using SSPI

Scott_VanDenElzen at amat.com Scott_VanDenElzen at amat.com
Wed Aug 3 19:08:10 BST 2005

cvs [ls aborted]: cvs [server aborted]: Repository directory
E:/DATA/CVSRepo
does not exist: Permission denied

I'm the Windows Server Admin working with Matt Schuckman on this problem.

CVSNT is running on a Server 2003 system, and users receive the above
error unless "bypass traverse checking" is enabled for them in the Local
Security Settings/User Rights Assignment node.  This points to a problem
accessing some folder or file.  However, I have enabled auditing of all
object access failures, and none are recorded.  NTFS "Modify" permissions
are granted to all the cvs folders, and NTFS "traverse folder" permissions
are applied to all parent folders to the top of the tree.  Additionally,
these users can manually access the repository and successfully add,
modify and delete files and subfolders.

It's a violation of company security policy to enable "bypass traverse
checking" on the server (and obviously not best practice due to what could
be unintended consequences.)

It seems to me that there must be a file/folder somewhere that we've
overlooked.  Here are the folders I'm aware of the need to properly set
ACLs on (as well as their parents up to the top of the directory tree):
temp or scratch directory
program files\cvsnt directory
repository, including cvsroot