[cvsnt] Cleaning "fake" revisions from repository

Danail Manolov d.manolov at mail.bg
Fri Aug 5 11:12:04 BST 2005

Hi all

Short description of the problem:
I use latest stable of TortoiseCVS - 1.8.18 with local repository.
If I touch a file (I mean just update its date/time, but file has same
contents) and commit it, new revision is created for that file. Prior
behavior was to mark file as unmodified. Same with CVS update - prior
behavior was to mark touched file as unmodified.

I found the source of the problem, and it is in CVSNT v2.0.62.1817 that
comes with TortoiseCVS. I go to command line and execute "cvs update"
with cvsnt.exe that comes with tortoisecvs, and I have described
behavior. If I execute same command with original cvs.exe, v1.11, it
behaves like CVSNT before -  marks  file as unmodified and does not
creates new revision. This is IMHO more correct, since file contents  is
actually the same, so there is no need for new "fake" revision.
Latest CVSNT (ver.2.5.02.2048) also has correct behavior.

My question is:
1. Can somebody confirm this bug in prior CVSNT version?
2. Is there a way for me to clean my repository from those "fake"
revisions that just add noise and no useful version information?

Thanks in advance,
Danail