[cvsnt] "import" that does not add files ?

Prochazka, Jan Jan.Prochazka at brooks.com
Thu Dec 1 20:46:44 GMT 2005

Hello gentlemen (and ladies :-))

after a few years of CVS use I discovered "import" command and vendor
branch concept. Imported, did customer changes in head, everything fine.
However, our vendor is a bit lazy and giving us whole package with obj
files, binaries and other temporary mess that should not be committed
into the repository.
Can import command be limited to do its job on the files that are
already in the repository and do not try to add not existing files (and,
if necessary, to import just a single file) ?
Currently, instead of "import" command, I check out vendor branch, then
copy new vendor stuff into the sandbox (thus overwriting the previous
files) and commit in. Then I merge vendor branch into the HEAD by
"update -j <vendor_branch>" invoked from the HEAD sandbox. Couldn't this
approach somehow compromise vendor-branch concept ?

Thank you,
JP

This email message, including any attachments, may contain confidential and proprietary information for the sole use of the intended recipient.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, copying or dissemination of this message is strictly prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please notify Brooks Automation, Inc. immediately by reply email or by calling Brooks US Headquarters at +1 978-262-2400. Then delete this message from your system, without making any copy or distribution.  Thank you.