[cvsnt] Merging branches with mergepoints

Detlef Marschall Detlef3 at gmx.net
Fri Dec 2 17:08:18 GMT 2005

Hi,

first, sorry for my bad english.

We have the following problem.

A branch is split from the HEAD --> B1. We made changes in that branch and
merging them to the HEAD "cvs up -jB1". For every merge we become a
mergepoint in the HEAD, that's ok.

Later we split another branch from HEAD --> B2. All mergepoints from branch
B1 are lost in branch B2. In my opinion is this a bug. When we merge from
branch B1 to branch B2 cvs will merge all changes from the start of B1 until
the last revision in the Branch B1 instead only the last changes.

We must always merge fom B1 --> B2 --> HEAD. This is necessary for our
development. A workaround is:

export the complete branch B2 to a separate dir
checkout the complete branch B2 to another dir
merge the branch B2 with the branch B1
copy the complete exported branch B2 over the merged branch B2
checkin the branch B2 for the correct mergepoint

That works but only if there no changes in branch B1 since the branch B2 is
generated.

Is there a solution, or plan for the future?

bye
Detlef