[cvsnt] forcing a text file at "non-mergable"

Mark Johnson amarkjohnson at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 17:18:12 GMT 2005

We have a couple of text files (xml) which are generate by different
development tools (iLOG and InstallAnywhere) which are not mergable.
Is there a way to define these as non-mergable.  We do not want an
update to attempt to merge these files.  I realize that this is the
default for binary files, but these are not binary.

We do not use reserved edits, and do not have "watch on" on the
repository.  Can we still set a specific file as "force reserved
edit"?  If so, does this force a developer to do a reserved edit
before they can commit the file?

Comming from an scm system which enforces a very strict reserved
"check-out/check-in" model, I've grown to like the C in CVS, but I've
found the need to require forced/reserved edits in certain instances,
and don't know how to handle it well with CVS.

any help is greatly appreciated.

Mark Johnson