[cvsnt] Correct sequence for exclusive editing

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Fri Dec 2 17:42:02 GMT 2005

Hello,

TortoiseCVS uses the following sequence for exclusive editing of binary
files:

  cvs up file
  cvs edit -zc file

This is a helpful feature, because when editing a binary file you usually
want to make sure you work on the latest revision (as some files can't even
be merged). But isn't there a short window between the two commands that
could result in a commit by someone else after the update but before the
edit?

What I'm thinking is something like this:

  cvs edit -zc file
  cvs up file
  cvs edit file

The first line makes sure nobody has the file "edited". The second makes
sure I really get the last revision. The third line makes the file
read-write again if the second line resulted in an updated revision.

Is there a simpler way to do this, like with the new -C option? What
exactly does the -C option? Does it only check, or also update?

Would

  cvs edit -zcC file

replace the above three lines? Can the -x option simply be added, like

  cvs edit -zcCx file

?

Thanks,
Gerhard