[cvsnt] Re: forcing a text file at "non-mergable"

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Mon Dec 5 09:27:30 GMT 2005

Mark Johnson wrote:

> We have a couple of text files (xml) which are generate by different
> development tools (iLOG and InstallAnywhere) which are not mergable.
> Is there a way to define these as non-mergable.  We do not want an
> update to attempt to merge these files.  I realize that this is the
> default for binary files, but these are not binary.
>
> We do not use reserved edits, and do not have "watch on" on the
> repository.  Can we still set a specific file as "force reserved
> edit"?  If so, does this force a developer to do a reserved edit
> before they can commit the file?
>
> Comming from an scm system which enforces a very strict reserved
> "check-out/check-in" model, I've grown to like the C in CVS, but I've
> found the need to require forced/reserved edits in certain instances,
> and don't know how to handle it well with CVS.

You could force individual files to always be edited in reserved mode
by using the -kc keyword. This could still be overridden if necessary
but that can no longer happen by accident (hence keeping faithful to
the C-principle). Files with the -kc flag will always be checked out
read-only and thus require an Edit before you could commit them. The
Edit will implicitly be a Reserved one and so will the Commit.

P.S.: You should by all means try to forget again about the -kx option
that was mentioned here as quickly as possible unless you want to
return to the dark medieval days of "real" exclusive locking.

Hope this helps.

--
Oliver
JID:  ogiesen at jabber.org