[cvsnt] Re: forcing a text file at "non-mergable"

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Mon Dec 5 15:27:45 GMT 2005

Gerhard Fiedler wrote:

> > P.S.: You should by all means try to forget again about the -kx
> > option that was mentioned here as quickly as possible unless you
> > want to return to the dark medieval days of "real" exclusive
> > locking.
>
> Could you please expand a little on this (reasons, motivation, pros
> and cons)? It seems to me that enforcing that a file can only be
> edited by one at a time (i.e. avoiding that it accidentally be edited
> by someone who forgot to use the -c option) could be helpful for
> files where this is a real requirement.

If you use -kc it is not possible anymore to accidentally forget to use
cvs edit -c or cvs ci -c. Those options will be used implicitly on all
files that carry that flag. IMO -kc is simply and beautifully this:
Reserved Edits made fail-safe at last.

-kx/edit -x on the other hand was IMNSHO basically just a questionable
marketing gag to impress VSS-minded PHBs (also see link below). It is
little different from the old cvs admin -l, i.e. the lock will be as
restrictive as can be. Only the original locker or an admin will be
able to unlock it again. If you want to know why that is a bad idea
that only VSS zealots can love, just do a quick Google scan. I also
recommend reading Tony's and Jerzy's comments on the thread "Why edit
-x?" started 2004-10-02 on this list
(nntp://news.cvsnt.org/support.cvsnt/14940).

Hope this helps.

--
Oliver
JID:  ogiesen at jabber.org