[cvsnt] Re: RCS corruption during tagging

Randy McCharles RandyMcCharles at smarttech.com
Thu Dec 22 16:10:47 GMT 2005

We are using :pserver: (as we have some MAC and Linux clients)
I agree that this looks like a HDD problem, but any HDD errors should be reported by the OS and they are not.
I am wondering if buffer overflows inside CVSNT may be the cause. Corruption occurs on very large operations. i.e. while tagging 5,000 files, 3 of them get corrupted. There may also be other users performing operations at the same time. I sent out an email earlier describing the tagging operation timing out because another user was performing a lengthy operation at the same time. This is the main reason we set up a 2nd server and split the database. Also, the reason why I have 2 different versions of CVSNT is to test the current release. If all goes well :) I'll then upgrade the old one.

Randy McCharles

SMART Technologies Inc.

Senior Software Developer

Tel. 403.802.3347  Fax 403.229.2531