[cvsnt] Re: Best practices for shadow sandbox

Gabriel Genellina gagenellina at softlab.com.ar
Thu Dec 29 19:42:15 GMT 2005

At Thursday 29/12/2005 15:05, Gerhard Fiedler wrote:

> I very much appreciate your commenting on the "best practices" stuff.
> I can't find anything on the internet on best practices for CVS.

Did you run a Google search on "best practices" (quoted) and cvs? It comes
up with quite a number of links that look like they have something to say.
Maybe no "best practices bible" around, but that's probably because the
environments (development, team, administration, IT) are so different.

Sorry, I can't remember who compiled this, I bet I got it from this
mailing list.  (Last item added by me)

0. http://www.magic-cauldron.com/cm/cvs-bestpractices/

1.
http://cvsbook.red-bean.com/cvsbook.html#Going_Out_On_A_Limb__How_To_Work_With_Branches_And_Survive_
- some more advices about "best practices"

2. http://www.cmcrossroads.com/bradapp/acme/branching/streamed-lines.html
- *very* extended and complete (IMO) guide of all possible branching
patterns, when and how they can be used, "traps and pitfalls to avoid",
etc.

3. http://www.loria.fr/~molli/cvs//cvs-FAQ-1.4/cvsfaq28.html -
branching/merging FAQ

4. http://www.cvshome.org/docs/manual/cvs-1.11.14/cvs_5.html#SEC54 -
section in CVS manual for branching and merging

5. http://www.cvsnt.org/manual/Branching-and-merging.html - same section
in CVSNT manual (TortoiseCVS uses it as client, and if your server is also
CVSNT, you will have aditional benefits when you merge - see here:
http://www.cvsnt.org/wiki/MergePoint)

6. http://www.cvsnt.org/CVS_Administration_Guide.pdf - focus on CVSNT
+ TortoiseCVS, and rather new (Jan 2005)

> ... -- a clean user interface implementing the "principle of least
> astonishment," so that the menus are laid out so that the naive user
> will do the right thing.

Try TortoiseCVS; it has the most simple interfase I can think of: just
right click on a file or folder (in Windows Explorer, or an Open File
dialog, or whatever) and do some actions on it.

> In Microsoft Visual SourceSafe you can browse the entire directory
> structure on the server.  Once you've set up your working directory
> (sandbox directory), you can selectively "get" or "checkout" one, two
> three files, or an entire sub-directory, or the entire project.But on
> CVSNT you can't do any of that stuff, as far as I can tell.

Remember that CVSNT is primarily a *server*, and a command line client;
there are many other clients available which let you do that sort of
things in fancy ways.
Like TortoiseCVS menctioned above. ViewCVS is a web interfase to browse a
repository using Internet Explorer or your favorite browser. See it in
action: http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/roundup/roundup/

--
Gabriel Genellina
Softlab SRL