[cvsnt] Re: cvsnt and defect tracking

Luigi D. Sandon cp at sandon.it
Wed Feb 2 09:43:04 GMT 2005

> 1) Do many of you use defect tracking software? If so,
> which one?

Defect tracking is very important in a good development process. Right
now we are using Mantis, because it is a bit more "Windows friendly" and
easier to use than Bugzilla was. We customized it a little to our needs,
anyway one of the requisites was a tool easy to use, because some of the
users were not very skilled.

> 2) If you do run defect tracking software, is it
> integrated with cvsnt?

"Integration" covers a broad range of features. Mantis has a script to
be used by CVS to log commits to Mantis too. But it's a basic form of
integration. Integrated tools (scm + bugtracking) like StarTeam offers a
lot more.

> 3) I am aware of need to minimize applications running
> on the cvsnt server... That being said, do many of you
 > run your defect tracking package on the cvsnt server
 > anyways? Do many of you run a webserver on the cvsnt

It's a matter of total server load - how many users, workload and so on.
I'm using a server dedicated to CVS and related tools (ViewCVS and
Mantis). It's a dual PIII 1GHz with 512 MBs of RAM, two 120 GB disks in
RAID 1 (mirror), two Ethernet nics, running Windows 2000 server, IIS +
Python + PHP, (ViewCVS and Mantis), MySQL (for Mantis).

CVSNT is bound to one of the nics, the web server to the other (and have
two different IP and DNS entries, so we could move them whenever we
need), and those IPs access is strictly controlled.

Our development group is small (10, plus some "help desk" people using
Mantis, and the "test\deployment group" accessing CVS to "export"
applications when a build is needed), and the server has no problem to
handle everything.

There are plans to move Mantis on a server that could be accessed
company-wide, but more due to "political" reasons than technical ones.

   Luigi D. Sandon
   cp at sandon.it