[cvsnt] Problem using cvsnt and gssapi

Douglas E. Engert deengert at anl.gov
Wed Feb 2 13:47:43 GMT 2005

andreas_bergen at delmia.de wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> we have a Linux (RH-Fedora Core 2) Server authenticating to Active
> Directory using Kerberos 5 and winbind. I've setup cvs (cvs-1.11.18 from
> cvshome.org) to use the :gserver:-protocol for
> GSSAPI-kerberos5-authentication which works perfectly well from other
> linux-machines. SSH(!)-GSSAPI-authentication also works from
> Windows-machines using the newest putty from css-security.com without
> providing a password simply using the windows-credentials. Is there a way
> to do Single Sign On (SSO) from Windows-Machines to our CVS-Server? If
> possible I'd like to use CVSNT with the :gserver:-protocol but other
> SSO-solutions are very welcome. I'd be important though that no cleartext
> password be transferred over the network and users don't have their
> password stored in nearly-cleartext on their computer as default
> :pserver:-login does.
>
> I've been trying to use the newest cvsnt using gserver-authentication and
> I always got the error-message
> GSSAPI authentication failed: The specified target is unknown or
> unreachable

An Ethereal trace from the client might help.
Is the principal cvs/<hostname>@<realm> registered?
What version of the Windows Kerberos code do you have?
What is in the cvsnt protocal_map.ini?
Is there any cross realm? i.e. users in one realm, the CVS server
in another other?
Are the user's in AD, and server in MIT based realm?

I have had cvsnt-2.0.58a working, to a unix based gserver cvs-1.12.9
using the MIT gssapi on both sides, with users registered in Windows.