[cvsnt] Re: commit followed by a tag

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Sat Feb 5 01:01:26 GMT 2005

Matt Schuckmann wrote:
> Ok I had to upgrade the client and the server to version 2.0.62.1869 and
> now: cvs commit -B test_bug works.
>
> However, cvs up -B test_bug does not check out the revision of the file with
> the test_bug bug ID assigned.
> In fact it doesn't seem to do anything at all.

It sets a boundary for branch merges.  Using it on its own won't
actually do anything.  It's used to extract the set of revisions that
are affected by that bug for each file so they can be merged into
another branch.

If you just want a list of files which the bug is in, something like:

cvs -q log -B test_bug -S -R

Will do the trick.

This will be a lot easier once the GUI support gets up to speed (this
usually lags little as the GUI writers understandably wait for a feature
to be fully stable before supporting it).

> Is it possible to apply a Bug ID after a file has been commited?

Not at the moment.

> Is it possilbe to apply more than one Bug ID to revision?

Bug IDs apply to multiple revisions but you can only have one Bug ID per
revision (this may be possible in the future but not at the moment).

> Why wasn't this just implimented with a tag, why the seperate feature for
> something that should be conceptually the same?

Bug IDs can refer to multiple revisions on multiple branches.  A tag can
only refer to a single revision - tags aren't nearly flexible enough for
this purpose.